My Top 5 for News

The prevalence of social media and countless other online sites in the black hole that is the internet gives readers an endless number of new choices for where to get their daily news. While more traditional news methods like newspaper and broadcast are still very useful many people enjoy the always-ready content news sites offer. Today I am presenting my personal top five sites for where I get my news. These selections are in no particular order.
1. Twitter
Most of the time if you were to mention Twitter people would consider it a more social oriented site than a news-oriented site. While this can be true based on your personal preference of accounts and tweeters that you follow the same can be said for news. Twitter is easily my most used social media outlet and might be one of my most used apps on my phone and because of my constant use, I have found a good balance on my Twitter feed between news and leisure. Most of my sports news comes from Twitter as well as a fair amount of world and national news. One aspect of Twitter being used as a news source that may be seen as a detriment is the inclusion of outside opinions that may sway a reader, as anyone can comment on any post. Personally, I choose to avoid the replies section to keep any bizarre or convoluted opinions away.

2. Reddit

Reddit is another site that some may more accurately define as social media, but can still be a reliable source of news. As with Twitter, the use of Reddit as a news source is completely based on what subreddits you follow. I use Reddit as the source of more "obscure" news; stories that would very rarely grace the headlines of the New York Times or US News. Subreddits such as r/dataisbeautiful, r/nottheonion, or r/documentaries can give great reading or viewing material that shows just how unique and interesting the world can be. Reddit is also susceptible to its share of opinions, but unlike Twitter, I sometimes do enjoy reading other users' comments. I find many of the comments a way to dig deeper into the chosen story and offer much more useful commentary than Twitter.

3. Fox
If I HAD to pick a news site that is very traditional and what most people would consider a traditional news site I would most likely select FOX News. FOX, while it can be biased is a much more reliable source for political and world news than the previous selections as well as it does not include other opinions as a focal point of the site. I will occasionally use other sites like CNN or NBC, but for whatever the reason may be FOX seems to be the one I visit most often.

4. ESPN
ESPN is undoubtedly where I find myself going for sports news. Any live score updates and sporting news that may have broken any time recently will be found here. I have the app on my phone and on the app I have selected teams, leagues, and sports that I receive notification updates from very frequently. ESPN also allows me to watch games and shows through the app and website which gives me prime access to the latest and best news in sports.

5. Richmond Times-Dispatch
The Richmond Times-Dispatch is a newspaper that is published and distributed in the Metro-Richmond area of central Virginia, including my hometown, Ashland. I don't read this paper extremely often but I will sit and read off of the newspaper's website at least once every few weeks or so. The Times-Dispatch reports on some national news but it has a very local flavor for the Richmond area as well as the state of Virginia. Being able to keep up to date on the happenings in my hometown while away from home is something I enjoy a lot and is made possible by the website version of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Image result for online news

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Reveal

Sports Betting

Is Cable Free Worth the Fee?